top banner

top banner

Saturday 13 May 2023

Sunday Worship 14th May

 Sunday Worship


Welcome to Sunday Worship in Leesfield Parish on the Sixth Sunday of Easter. Today is our Annual Parochial Church Meeting at 11.15 am, so we have a Parish Eucharist at St Thomas' at 10 am, and no service at St Agnes'.

If you are unable to join us in person, you can find the Gospel reading, a reflection, and prayers below.

Our first hymn this morning is "This is My Body, Broken for You"



Today's Gospel

John 14: 15-21                                   The Promise of the Holy Spirit

Jesus said, ”If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever. This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you.

”I will not leave you orphaned; I am coming to you. In a little while the world will no longer see me, but you will see me; because I live, you also will live. On that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. They who have my commandments and keep them are those who love me; and those who love me will be loved by my Father, and I will love them and reveal myself to them.”

Reflection

We start this week exactly where we left off last week. It’s still the evening of the last supper, just after Jesus has told His disciples that He is going to leave them. He has spelled out to them that, “ He is the way, the truth and the life”, that He and the Father are one and the same!  
Whilst the disciples do not yet know what is about to happen, Jesus knows that He is soon to be crucified. 
This is Jesus’ last chance to teach them what they need to know to carry on the work he has begun. It’s also his last chance to tell them how much he loves them. Jesus is explaining to His disciples how to follow Him even after He has gone. 
Let’s be honest, what He’s asking of them is no small challenge - “If you love me, you will keep my commandments” -  First and foremost , that is ‘to love one another as I have loved you’.  The Greek word for love, (agape), means more than we understand in the English translation. It is an indiscriminate and overarching form of love for both friends and strangers alike. Even to those who we don’t like or who might despise us. 
It is the limitless love that Jesus showed when He washed His disciples feet, including those of Judas who would betray Him. It is the unending love that Jesus showed when He died on the Cross for us.
It is that same selfless love which Jesus gives to us, that He wants us to show to each other. That is why He asks His disciples to follow the example which they have seen in His actions and teachings through His ministry. To love with the intensity that brings people to the way of God, to experience God’s love and welcome new believers into the fellowship. To keep on loving in the face of adversity, betrayal and abuse. 
That also is the challenge Jesus also gives to us, and yes, there will be times when this feels almost impossible. How on earth are we supposed to be able to love in the same way as Jesus did? But Jesus knows how hard this can be, because He has already experienced it all. And because he understands and loves us so much, He promises to ask His Father to send an advocate who will be with us all forever. The Holy Spirit, the Spirit of Truth. 
Again, the Greek word, (parakletos), means much more than the single translated word, “advocate”.  It also means comforter, counsellor, and helper. This Holy Spirit is one who comes alongside us to teach us, remind us, abide with us. Jesus reassures us that when we follow Him, we will know the Spirit of Truth because the Holy Spirit abides with us and will be in us.                                   Paul

Our Prayers

Spirit of Truth, come live in me,
come rest on me and make me ready follow Jesus
Spirit of truth, Seeing as you see
Fill my mind and heart, let me hear your counsel.
I ask this with humility. 
Amen

Today's final hymn is "How Great Thou Art"




Notices

This week is Christian Aid Week, so we will be collecting in our churches and around Lees for this charity. If you're not in our churches or on our collecting round, you can find out more about Christian Aid and how to donate here - Christian Aid Week appeals

On Thursday we have the Ascension Day Eucharist, 7.30 pm at St Thomas' Church. All are most welcome to join us.



Blog Archive