top banner

top banner

Saturday 4 June 2022

Sunday Worship 5th June

 Pentecost


Welcome to our Sunday Worship for Pentecost. There will be a short said Eucharist at St Thomas’ Church at 9.15 am, with no service at St Agnes’ today. 

We will then assemble outside church at 11 am for our Whit Sunday procession – down West Street, along Spring Lane, and then back up Thomas Street to Church. We haven’t been able to do this for a couple of years, so it will be wonderful if you could join us, or watch the procession somewhere along the way.

At 12 noon we gather with our fellow Christians from around the area for the Churches Together in Lees and District joint service for Pentecost at St Thomas’. Afterwards we are invited to join our friends at Zion Methodist Church at 1 pm for celebratory refreshments. 

If you're unable to be with us in person, the Gospel, a short reflection and a prayer are shown below so that you can worship from  home.

Our first hymn this morning is "Spirit of God, Unseen as the Wind"


Today's Gospel 

John 14:8-17 [25-27]                       Jesus Comforts His Disciples

Philip said to Jesus, "Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied." Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, `Show us the Father'? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves. Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father. I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it.

"If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, to be with you forever. This is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, because he abides with you, and he will be in you."

["I have said these things to you while I am still with you. But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you everything, and remind you of all that I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled, and do not let them be afraid."]

Reflection

At the time of writing this week's reflection, we are only a couple of days away from a weekend of celebration on this belated Bank Holiday. The sun is shining and the forecast for the weekend looks good – so it will be great excuse to get out and take part in the Whit Walks on Sunday. If you can’t do the walk yourself but live on the streets where we march, please take a moment to come out and wave as an act of witness and support. There is also Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth’s Platinum Jubilee and I know many folk are preparing for street parties and other events commemorate this fabulous achievement. All in all there is plenty to look forward to. 

We also have a birthday to celebrate as we remember the birth of the church when Jesus fulfilled his Ascension promise and sent the gift of the Holy Spirit upon the Apostles (Acts 2). They too were looking forward to a celebration as they gathered in Jerusalem for the Jewish Festival of Weeks which marked the end of Passover. 

It probably fair to say that they must have been feeling quite anxious and fearful, having been through the roller coater ride of witnessing their mentor and master being crucified, dying and then been raised from the dead. It was on one of the occasions after he was raised that he gave them this command: “Do not leave Jerusalem, but wait for the gift my Father promised, which you have heard me speak about.”  This is why they were celebrating in Jerusalem with so many other Jews from across many regions.
Jesus’ gave his words of comfort above before his crucifixion, but despite this after this they witnessed His ascension into heaven they once again must have felt alone and vulnerable. Jesus was gone yet again. He had left them to their own devices, and they were probably wondering what on earth to do next. How would they carry on with the ministry of bringing God’s kingdom of love, mercy justice and peace to the world? Jesus hadn’t exactly left a user guide or instruction manual. But of course they needn’t have worried, for as we read in the Gospel passage, Jesus had promised that the Father would send an Advocate in His name; the Holy Spirit who would teach them everything, and remind them of all that He had said to them. 

The Holy Spirit is a birthday present we can receive and also more importantly, it’s a present we can share with others. For as Jesus promised, we can all do great things under the influence of the Holy Spirit and the world will experience God’s mercy, love and forgiveness. Through our actions and the intervention of the Spirit others will know the joy of God’s generosity, peace, grace, and hope. Happy Birthday everyone!      Paul

Our Prayers

God of Wind and Fire, we celebrate today the gift of Your Holy Spirit, which You sent upon the believers on the day of Pentecost, and which is our blessing today.

We hunger for the life-changing power that Your Holy Spirit brings. May our lives exemplify the fruit of Your Spirit: love, joy, peace, and patience; kindness, faithfulness, and self-control. In Jesus’ name.
AMEN

This morning's final hymn is "The Spirit Lives to Set Us Free "Walk in the Light"


 




Blog Archive